Grab is more than just the leading ride-hailing and mobile payments platform in Southeast Asia.
We use data and technology to improve everything from transportation to payments across a region of more than 620 million people. Working with governments, drivers, passengers, and the community, we aim to unlock the true potential of the region by solving problems that hinder progress.
At Grab, we have always tried to solve real world transportation problems. But even from the very beginning, we realised just finding the solution is not enough. To actually bring them to life, requires more.
Sure, we have the technology. But we still need to bring passengers and drivers together. We need to work with communities and governments. And we need to learn from the diverse peoples and cultures of Southeast Asia.
And the only way we can do all that, is together with you.
The goals we’ve set for ourselves aren’t easy to achieve. But we believe one day soon, every single person in Southeast Asia will be able to travel safely, comfortably, and easily to work, to college, and to tea with a few friends.
With every single day that passes, we’re more certain of it. Because we have you to help get us there. That’s what Grab is really about. Bringing people together to make life better for all. Forward Together.
Data Engineering runs the code, pipeline and infrastructure that extracts, processes and prepares every piece of data generated or consumed by Grab’s systems.
We are a diverse team of software engineers that not only work to solve all kinds of data related problems faced by teams from all corners of Grab but we also act as a bridge that ties everyone together through data.
Database Engineers in Grab get to work on and support one of the largest and fastest growing datasets of any company in South East Asia. We operate in a challenging, fast paced and ever changing environment that will push you to grow and learn.
The day-to-day activities:
- Responsible for monitoring day to day MySQL, PostgreSQL and or other OLTP database systems in terms of operations and management
- Perform database capacity planning and maintenance, monitoring and performance tuning
- Diagnose any database issues and employ measures to prevent recurrence
- Work with engineering and operations team in building tooling to drive scalability, reliability and performance
- Research and develop new technologies and approaches for building highly available data persistence systems
- Advice and support product, engineering, support and operation teams
- Participate in on-call rotations
The must haves:
- Preferably a degree in computer science, software engineering, information technology or related fields
- Deep understanding and real passion for relational database theory and database fundamentals
- Deep understanding of MySQL storage engines (understanding of PostgreSQL internal engine would be an added plus)
- Proficiency in shell scripting (bash, sed, awk et al)
- Proficiency with Linux system administration
- Extensive experience with installation, management, upgrades, backup and restore of large MySQL, PostgreSQL and or other OLTP database system installations
- Experience benchmarking, clustering and tuning the databases for performance, reliability, high availability and scalability
- Familiar with a key-value store or data structure database (such as Redis, ElasticSearch et al)
- Experience with AWS RDS / Elasticache / other AWS Database Services or experience with management of databases in AWS environment will a strong plus
- Strong CS fundamentals (with competencies in algorithms and data structures)
If you share our vision of driving South East Asia forward, click on "Want to Visit" and join our team today.
|Looking for||Database Engineer|