Hospital: Medical Support for Work in Japan

Support by Hacarus in Hospital Visits: We provide support services during hospital visits to the best of our abilities.

HACARUS supports members who want to WORK IN JAPAN, WORK IN HACARUS. If you would like to know how you can live in Japan, please take a look at all provided support information! We share the information not only for future Hacarus applicants, but also for people who are interested in Japan!

Many foreigners face the problem of understanding what medical staff are trying to convey during a visit to a hospital or clinic. To the best of our abilities, we, at Hacarus want to lessen any obstacles and make your daily life much easier.

Will English assistant services be available to me while I’m working for Hacarus?

Yes. There are a handful of hospitals and clinics in Kyoto with English assistant services! We understand that language barriers in a medical setting can be quite daunting, in case English assistance services are not be available, Hacarus members would be more than happy to follow and interpret for you or help provide interpreter services.

What happens when you visit a hospital or clinic?

Here's what basically happens:

1. You will be asked to fill out your personal information (current condition and medical history) for hospital records.
2. You may be asked for a referral letter.
3. Wait in the waiting room until your name is called.
4. You will explain to the doctor what ailments you are experiencing.
5. The doctor will examine your condition and prescribe medication.
6. You will wait in the wait in the waiting room until your name is called, where you will receive your NHI (National Health Insurance) card, patient registration card, prescription and bill.

At any moment in time that you do not understand anything- including your diagnosis or medicine prescribed, do not hesitate and please ask your interpreter to help you understand!

What to Bring

  • National Health Insurance (NHI) Card
  • An identification card
  • Medication you are currently taking
  • Money
  • Referral Letter (if needed)

Working Hours
Consultation days are generally weekdays and from morning until afternoon. Non-consultation days are typically on Sundays and holidays.

What happen if it’s an emergency on a non-consultation day, that I suddenly get ill or injured?

Some medical institutions available in each community can provide medical services during the night, weekend and holidays. In major situations, make an emergency call by dialing 119 and an ambulance will come by. Explain the emergency, the situation, location, your name and the phone number being used.

What are medical costs like?

When you come to Japan, you are required to join the National Health Insurance system.
This generally makes you only have to pay 30% of medical expenses.

Hospitals with English-speaking staff/dispatch interpreters

  • Kyoto City Hospital
    • English: Tue/Wed/Fri 9:00 to 12:00
    • Chinese: Friday 9:00 to 12:00
    • Korean: Tue/Wed/Fri 9:00 to 12:00
  • Koseikai Takeda Hospital
    • English: Tue/Fri/Sat 9:00 to 12:00
    • Chinese: Tue/Fri/Sat 9:00 to 12:00
    • Korean: Tue/Fri/Sat 9:00 to 12:00
  • Kyoto Katsura Hospital
    • English: Tue/Wed/Fri 9:00 to 12:00
    • Chinese: Tue/Wed/Fri 9:00 to 12:00
    • Korean: Tue/Wed/Fri 9:00 to 12:00

Further information can be found on The Kyoto City International Foundation which lists “Foreign Language Speaking Doctors” in the link below followed by a map.


  • KOTOSAPO Project for Dispatching Medical Interpreters (General ailments)
  • KOTOSAPO-MAMA Project for Dispatching Interpreters for moms (Childbearing)
  • KOTOSAPO-KOKORO Project for Dispatching Interpreters for mental health patients (Mental Health)

Consultation by Telephone

Health and Medical Assistance Interpreter Services
AMDA International Medical Information Center KANSAI Telephone consultation
TEL: 06-4395-0555
Mon - Fri 9:00 to 17:00(English and Spanish)
Mon. 10:30 to 14:30 (Portuguese)
Tues. 10:00 to 13:00 (Chinese)
Weds/Thurs 13:00 to 16:00 (Chinese)

Kyoto City International Foundation
TEL: 075-752-1166
Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 to 17:00 (English, Closed on Monday)

Hospitals Open at Night and on Holidays

  • Kyoto City Emergency Clinic (Pediatrics, ENT, Eye)
  • Kyoto City Holiday Emergency Dental Central Clinic (Dentistry)

Are there consulting services available for me in case I feel troubled?

TELL Lifeline (Mental Health Services mainly geared towards foreigners)
If you are feeling troubled, TELL Lifeline offers telephone counseling for both the troubled and concerned for those troubled.
TEL: 03-5774-0992 (9:00 to 23:00)

Japan Help Line

TEL: 0120-461-997
24 hours (Service in 18 languages including English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish)

Other Advice

Online Medical Questionnaire for Helping Foreigners Explain Conditions

Other Topics Covered for Hacarus Work in Japan Support Program

5 いいね!
5 いいね!